The Galeria of the Polish Mission is pleased to present the exhibit Van Duzer: Shrine Chapel Sculptor, an exhibit celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Shrine Chapel of Our Lady of Orchard Lake. The exhibit was designed to share the story of the sculpture of the Shrine Chapel of Our Lady of Orchard Lake during this 50th Anniversary year. These sculptures were created by Cleveland artist, Clarence Van Duzer (1920-2009). The story will be told through sketches, sculptural maquette studies, black and white photographs depicting the process Van Duzer used to make his creations a reality and an interview on DVD featuring Msgr. Stanley Milewski, OLS Chancellor Emeritus and artist Van Duzer, produced in 2004.
Van Duzer studied at the Cleveland Institute of Arts, Cranbrook Academy of Art and Yale. He taught at Cranbrook Academy of Art, the Flint Institute of Art and then The Cleveland Institute of Arts. The artist staged many exhibitions and won many awards, from a bronze Prix de Rome to a first place in the prestigious midyear show of the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown.
Artist and Orchard Lake alumnus, Joseph Jankowski was commissioned to coordinate all of the chapel’s visual art. Jankowski approached friend and fellow art professor at the Cleveland Institute of Arts, Van Duzer, to create the sculptures: Our Lady of Orchard Lake for the façade of the chapel and later, Christ and the Apostles positioned behind the main altar and the Corpus of the crucifix.
Contact Galeria Director Evelyn Bachorski-Bowman at email@example.com or (248) 683-0345 for more information.